Pawhuska Hospital traces its history back to 1923, when it opened its initial location on Lynn Avenue between 18th and 19th streets. Originally opened as a municipal hospital, the staff included a superintendent of nurses and small nursing staff. After World War II the number of patients served by the hospital rapidly increased.
Eventually the hospital was incorporated and leased from the city. In the early 1960s the original hospital structure was deemed insufficient and too expensive to repair and expand. A new facility on 15th street was built. On July 1, 1965 the new hospital opened with the transfer of 22 patients from the old facility. Another addition was built in 1977 to accommodate additional ancillary services.
In 1972, the hospital was organized Pawhuska Hospital, Inc.as a private, not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Oklahoma
In October 1998 the Pawhuska Hospital Board determined that the hospital should seek Critical Access Hospital designation. Initially the hospital was denied Critical Access status because Osage County was federally designated an urban area. After a lengthy campaign by local citizens and community groups, Pawhuska Hospital was approved to apply for the status in December 1999.
Pawhuska Hospital continues to serve the city and surrounding area and maintains strong relationships with larger acute care facilities such as St. John Health System, Saint Francis Health System, Hillcrest Medical Center and Oklahoma State University Medical Center. Our administration team is committed to serving the rural community with the highest quality patient care.